Friday 15 July 2011

June 16th - White City, SK


We left bug city early, stopping at Walmart for bread and bug spray (I got after-bug treatment that stinkkkks in Estevan yesterday, couldn’t stand the itching of the bites I got in North Dakota!). We drove for a while and found a nice campground about 15 miles east of Regina in a place called White City. It seemed like quite a random town, with lots of huge houses and big yards…in the middle of nowhere! Must be an aging housing estate. Or a ghost estate like the ones in Ireland.

The campground we stayed at was quite good, but I didn’t really want to pay an extra $2 each for a swim in the postage stamp sized pool. It did have a sign that said swimming in it was at our own risk and no lifeguard was on duty, haha. The building near us was an old schoolhouse, which still had the original itty bitty kiddy desks and chairs, chalkboards and bathrooms! It was quite cute, though it smelt pretty musty. They had a pretty good book collection too – some John Grishams there! There was also a pool table, so Will and I had a few rounds on that. It was pretty sloped though and the cues were worn down past the chalk so it was an interesting game. I didn’t get ‘pantsed’ but close – I didn’t play so well to start with then all of a sudden I had some awesome shots! Those flukey angle ones that are hard to plan. There were some little kids outside when we went in, a boy and two younger girls and when we were playing pool the boy asked if we could watch them. Will was like what?! And I was like, whatever. He was kind of hard to understand. They kept staring at us and we just said we’d be there for a while. Not giving up our free pool table haha. Then their mom (young bogan by the looks!) came in and asked if they were ok and we just said we were playing for a while then we’d leave. Will and I still didn’t get exactly what was going on, but indicated we’d be happy to keep an eye on them if needed and if they were in the other room. Then they left – weird. Before they did the little girl asked me something which I thought was rude, but it was actually an innocent enough question – thought I can’t remember what it was – their accents were hard to understand though!!

After Will beat me several times in a row, we checked out the book collection properly and then found a game which is kind of like curling except without the scrubbing broom things. It was on a long table with higher sides and you had to slide these heavy metal discs across the surface of the table and try and get it into the bullseye at the end. And then when you’d had your four turns each, there was a bullseye at the other end. It was pretty cool! And this I was actually ok at – and I beat Will nearly every game. Just smashed his out of the way haha. It was quite hard though as the discs were quite heavy – about hockey puck size. Often they didn’t go as far as we wanted. A little bit of graffiti on the chalkboard (I was here ’11 – how original haha) and then it was time for dinner. After dinner, more TV and then bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment