Monday 25 June 2012

Snippets of Ottawa - Parliamentary Cat Sanctuary

Ottawa has been an interesting city to live in. As in most places, if you live there for a while you will discover some quirky places, foods and other miscellany!

To start us off and to ease me back into blogging, here are some pictures from the Parliamentary Cat Sanctuary.


Will has been to Ottawa before this trip and was told of this mysterious 'cattery' near Parliament, but he had never seen it. One cold day, our friend took me there and I couldn't wait to take Will and show him the cats!



Can you see the second cat? 
The Parliamentary Cats are fed by volunteers and live in this cute little house. They have straw inside and water and food outside. According to Wikipedia these cats were employed to keep the rodent population down in 1955. Both times I went I only saw one or two cats - perhaps they were snuggled further in the house? Squirrels and various birds, like pigeons, also help themselves to the food. In front of the cat house is parliament itself, and the cattery is situated on a bank facing the river. Like I said, it's quirky!

No comments:

Post a Comment